Accident and Breakdown Guide
What should you do or not do in the event of an accident or a breakdown and what are you entitled to? Our guide will quickly put you in the picture and ensure that you are always on the safe side.
What to do in the event of an accident?
The most important steps.
Take a deep breath. Remain calm. A few simple steps will allow you to ensure more safety in the event of an accident. We will explain step-by-step exactly what to do.
- Switch on the hazard warning light
- Switch on the lights if it is dark
- Put on a high-visibility vest
- Set up a warning triangle
- Bring passengers to safety
- Ask witnesses to wait and to help
- Call rescue service (995)
- Perform first aid
- Rescue the injured from the danger area
Important when telephoning:
- Where did it happen?
- What happened?
- How many injured?
- What injuries?
- Wait for further enquiries
Recommended in the event of:
- Personal injury or considerable damage to property
- Fault unclear
- Criminal offence: hit-and-run, alcohol, drugs, simulated accident
- Accidents abroad
- Accidents involving wild animals, livestock or pets
- Accidents involving objects
- Photograph the scene of the accident, then clear it
- Photograph damage, provide a sketch of the accident
- Exchange details with the other driver and witnesses
- Complete an accident report
- Do not admit any fault at the accident location!
- Inform your insurance company
Call Volkswagen Roadside Assistance: 6333 8800
- Always there for you: round-the-clock assistance
- A wide range of services: Roadside Assistance, towing service, return transportation, mobile emergency service
- Full mobility through replacement vehicle
Initial assistance in the glove compartment.
The Accident Guide contains, at a glance, everything you need to know about matters relating to accidents. So download it quickly and put it in your glove compartment.
Important notes in an event of a breakdown
Do not get out on the carriageway side. Retreat behind a barrier safely and do not wait behind the car.
With hazard warning lights, lights, high-visibility vest and warning triangle.
Use the roadside emergency telephone or the Volkswagen 24 h hotline.
Always be prepared
With a warning triangle, high-visibility vest, jump leads and towing rope.